FIRST: A PLACE FOR FRIARS AND PRINCES EXCLUSIVELY.
NOW: AN EXCLUSIVE PLACE FOR EVERYBODY

During the Middle Ages, Prinsenhof was the property of the Brethren of Communal Life, a religious faction. What is now our Grand Café used to be their church and it forms the oldest part of the Prinsenhof complex. It dates from the 15th century.

Other wings were added later, commissioned by the first bishop of Groningen and Drenthe. By the end of the 16th century Prinsenhof became the official residence of the Nassau viceroys, giving the building its current name. However, the viceroys didn’t use their Groningen residence all too often.
In this period the Prinsentuin Gardens were created. The letters W and A, cut from taxus hedges, refer to viceroy Willem Frederik and his spouse Albertine Agnes.
During the 19th century Prinsenhof was used as a military hospital for the French troops and subsequently it became a barracks for the military police.
Since 1945 Prinsenhof has accommodated the regional radio and television network, now called RTV Noord, until 2005.

Ultimately, after centuries of private use, architect Jurjen van der Meer and his team of De Zwarte Hond Architects have transformed Prinsenhof into a hotel, grand café and restaurant where everybody is welcome.

 

history1
history2
history3

 

2740608935

 

THE PRINSENHOF TEAM

 

Prinsenhof Groningen is operated by an experienced team of hotel and restaurant entrepreneurs.

Frank Verbeek and Jacques Muller previously initiated local restaurants De Pauw and Muller, and Hotel De Ville. Wessel Zijp and Johannes Jacobs are the owners of The Four Roses and De Plaats Melkema, and started ‘t Feithhuis.
The management team is completed by Executive Chef Gabriël van der Wal  and assistent Hotelmanagers